This guide is for staff with a focus on undergraduate students.
What are graduate attributes?
Graduate attributes are the personal qualities, skills and academic abilities that are valued by the University of Bolton community, and that a student should acquire during their time at University.
Graduate attributes are:
- Expressive of what it means to be a University of Bolton graduate
- Not simply taught in the classroom but fostered through meaningful experiences and as a result of continuous learning and reflection
- Unique to every student – in terms of their starting point, experiences, development and comprehension.
The Graduate Attributes Matrix for Employability (GAME) has been developed to capture and articulate undergraduate attributes, and provides a consistent framework for academic staff to:
- Assess and benchmark an individual’s core skills performance
- Describe core skills relevant to the workplace and employment
- Map against curricula
- Tailor approaches to teaching and learning
- Develop self-evaluation tools which increase learner engagement and ownership
Graduate attributes can be developed as part of a programme of study, as well as through the wider student experience. They act as a point of reference for a students' personal development and support the articulation of employability and transferable skills.
Select a button below for information on an attribute and how this can be incorporated into programme design and delivery strategies.